Friday, April 26, 2013

Spring & Summer Must Haves!

I get a lot of questions about certain products around this time of year, so in order to give some good suggestions/reviews, I'm FORCED to go out and by them (I know, as if I wouldn't buy them anyway).

First product we'll review are self tanners.  Now that we're past the pasty-white look we had to bear through winter, self tanning is a must before you even get into a bikini and get out into the real rays.  I've been using Neutrogena Micro-Mist Sunless Tan for years.  It gives you just enough color and depending on how much you use, you can create your own shade.  The only downside to it is that when you spray it, you have to put a towel down and make sure you're not hitting any walls or doors with the spray (it's sticky and stains).  Other than that, its quick, simple, and doesn't make you look orange.  You can find it at any drugstore for around $8-$12.

While at a routine trip to Sephora, I stumbled along some other products that had some good reviews.  There's a line they sell there called St. Tropez.  They have all different types, spray, mousse, lotion...I opted to try the Self Tan Bronzing Mousse ($42) for a change.  I didn't buy the mit ($6.50), but ended up finding one at Ulta and got 2 for 1!  (Must get a mit or your hands will turn dark immediately!)  The application is really easy and you don't have to worry about it getting on anything else like the spray, which also leads me to believe that you get more of the product because you're not wasting any of it.  This particular bronzing mousse just gives you a little color (depending on how much you use), but it doesn't give you the gradual tan like one of their lotions does.  So, they recommend that you apply it a couple of times a week.  So far, I really like it, it's a good alternative if you don't want to have to go get an actual airbrush tan from a tanning salon, especially since those cost anywhere from $35-$45.  Those do seem to last longer (they say 7-10 days, I felt like it was more like 5 days). www.sephora.com



Victoria's Secret makes a good self tanner too!  Beach Sexy Self Tanning Tinted Lotion, $15 at www.victoriassecret.com.  I actually like this one better than the St. Tropez foam.  Gives you a little bit more color and smells more beachy than tanning lotion-like.  It's good for getting that color you need and if you apply it a couple of times a week, it stays on pretty well.  Plus, it doesn't come off onto things (clothes, sheets, etc.) as much as some of the others.  Definitely one I'd buy again.


Another good drugstore product that I've just started using again (Thanks to my friend Jill!), is the Jergans Natural Glow gradual tan lotion.  It has a new and improved formula where they took out the "tanning" smell.  The new smell is MUCH better and less detectable.  I bought the firming one, of course.  It's a nice, light lotion that you could even wear during the day without feeling sticky or smelly!  This is definitely going to be one of my new MUST HAVE spring/summer products!  I got it at Walgreens for $11.99 www.walgreens.com



So, depending on what you want the tanning for, whether its just to give yourself a little bit of color for the weekend, or if you have a special occasion coming up, there are many options (just make sure you immediately wash your hands after you use any of them).  I wouldn't recommend the booth spray tanning.  I've gone to those in the past and always seem to come out blotchy and noticeably orange.


Hair products...most people's hair starts to dry out once the weather gets warmer and they're
in the sun more often, plus with all of the products and heat tools we all use, a good, moisturizing shampoo helps keep the hair hydrated and repairs any damage you may already have.  I get regular Brazilian Blowout treatments, so I have to use special shampoo and conditioner to protect the treatment, while still adding moisture to my hair.  I have tried A LOT of different S&C and I absolutely LOVE the Moroccan Oil line.  They have a few different types, depending on what your hair needs (Hydration, Moisture, Repair, Volume).  It smells really good too :)  You can find the Moroccan Oil products at Stella Luca salon in Winter Park www.stellaluca.com.



Now to my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE product for spring/summer... Oribe Apres Beach Wave and LOOOOOOVE this stuff!  If you want that beachy look for summer, this is the product to use!  It gives you those beachy waves and smells delicious!!!  It's not cheap, but worth it.  The large can is 8.5 oz. for $37 and they also have a purse size which is 2.2 oz. for $17.50.  You can order it online at their web site www.oribe.com .  I promise you'll LOVE it!  If not, let me know and I'll buy the bottle from you :)
Shine Spray.



One last thing...I found a great lip gloss!  Korres Lip Gloss (yum, I tried the Cherry and it tastes like those screwballs that you used to get from the ice cream truck!).  It's a high shine color lip gloss formulated with hydrating cherry oil.  There are 10 shades in the line.  You can find it at Sephora (of course!) for $17.  I'm almost ready for my second tube!  www.sephora.com





Now go out and try these products!  And as always, let me know if you come across some great finds!  I love hearing about any and all new (or old) products!!!  Here's to a happy, tan, summer :)

3 comments:

  1. Great recs Jenn! I used to use that Jergen's Glow lotion when it first came out...hated the smell, but it worked. You just reminded me I need to get some more! As for the hair products, LOVE both of those! You've inspired me to be a regular at drugstores now trying out new products!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Leah! They reformulated the Jergens lotion and it smells MUCH better. I've been using it pretty regularly for like 2-3 weeks! I'm giving the St. Tropez another shot tonight. Let me know if you find any good products!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your beauty products are really amazing! Your hair care solutions is perfect for my hair since I have dried hair due to the damage and chemical used. I need to repair my damaged hair so that I can wear the long rompers for this coming Holiday parties.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

 

jenny from the BLOG | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012